Type: parliamentary democracy.
Constitution: adopted December 22, 1990.
Independence (from Yugoslavia): June 25, 1991.
|Branches of gevernment:
- executive: president (chief of state), prime minister (head of government),
Council of Ministers (cabinet)
- legislative: unicameral Parliament (Sabor)
- judicial: three-tiered system
|Elections for the Parliament (Sabor) are held every 4 years and for the
President of the Republic every 5 years.
|The Government of the Republic
of Croatia is a body which exercises the executive powers in conformity
with the Constitution and law; its internal organization, operational procedures
and decision-making process are defined by the Law on the Government of
the Republic of Croatia and the Rules of Procedure of the Government.
Government passes decrees, introduces legislation, proposes the state budget
and enforces laws and other regulations enacted by the Croatian Sabor (Parliament).
Within the scope of its powers, the Government also passes decrees, administrative
acts and orders on appointments and relief of appointed officials and civil
servants. The Government decides in cases of conflict of jurisdiction between
government institutions, gives answers to representatives' questions, prepares
proposals of laws and other regulations, gives opinion on laws and other
regulations and adopts strategies of economic and social development.
Government consists of the premier (Prime Minister), one or more Deputy
Prime Ministers and Ministers. The Government answers to the Croatian Parliament
(Sabor). The Prime Minister and the members of the Government are jointly
responsible for decisions passed by the Government and individually responsible
for their respective portfolios.
|Pursuant to the decision of the Croatian
Sabor which expressed confidence in the Government of the Republic of Croatia,
the President of the Republic issues an order appointing the Prime Minister,
counter-signed by the Chairman of the Croatian Sabor; the order appointing
the members of the Government is issued by the Prime Minister and counter-signed
by the Chairman of the Croatian Sabor.
- Social Democratic Party of Croatia (SDP)
- Croatian Peasant Party (HSS)
- Liberal Party (LS)
- Croatian People's Party (HNS)
- Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ)
- Croatian Social Liberal Party (HSLS)
- Croatian Block (HB)
- Croatian Christian Democratic Union (HKDU)
- Istrian Democratic Assembly (IDS)
- Croatian Independent Democrats (HND)
- Action of Social Democrats of Croatia (ASH)
- Slavonija-Baranja Croatia's Party (SBHS)
- Democratic Centre (DC)
- Croatian Party of Rights (HSP)
- True Croatian Revival Party (HIP)
- Primorje Goransko Union (PGS)
- Serb People’s Party (SNS)
- Independent Democratic Serb Party (SDSS)